My No-Cook Base
I’ve been experimenting for a while to try to find the ultimate no-cook recipe. Sometimes you want ice cream straight away right? This recipe is the best yet!
It’s a no-egg recipe and uses Lecithin instead as an emulsifier.
This base is perfect for vanilla ice cream, just add 5 ml vanilla extract to the base.
|Ingredient||Weight (g)||Amount (%)|
|Skim milk powder||40.0||3.90|
It has the following properties
- FAT 15%
- MSNF 9.4%
- Total solids 42.3%
- PAC 256 (Freezing point depression)
- POD 154 (Relative sweetness)
Notes on the ingredients
Milk and Cream
If you have different fat content for the milk and/or cream you can recalculate that in the software.
Skim milk powder
SMP adds milk solids (MSNF). SMP is great for controlling water and adds body to the ice cream.
I use a sugar blend of normal sugar (sucrose) and dextrose. I almost always use these two sugars, they give you great flexibility to control sweetness and freezing point depression.
I use lecithin as emulsifier instead of egg yolks. I add 4.5g lecithin which replaces 3 large egg yolks.
Guar gum hydrates cold and I choose this as my stabilizer. I have tried blending Guar gum and Xanthan gum but have not been super happy with that, the ice cream gets a slimy texture. Maybe I haven’t found the right blend. It’s important not to use too much as the ice cream will become chewy.
Inulin is a dietary fiber that is found in many vegetables and fruits like onions and banana. It’s extracted from the root of chicory which contains 15-20% inulin. Inulin has great water controlling properties and when mixed with water or milk it creates a smooth fat-like texture. It has a low sweetness (10% of sucrose) and neutral flavor.
As this is a no-cook recipe it’s super simple to prepare.
- Start your ice cream machine 10-15 minutes before to pre-freeze it.
- Measure and mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- The most important here is the Guar gum, use a scale that reads 0.01g. You need two scales when making ice cream, one for measuring small amounts like stabilizers and salt etc with a resolution of 0.01g. And one with a resolution of 1g that can weigh several Kgs for milk and cream etc.
- Make sure you mix all dry ingredients well before adding to the milk and cream. This reduces the risk of clumping and ensures the Guar gum will work properly.
- Add milk and cream to another bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients while blending with a hand-held blender.
- Blend for one minute.
- (Optional, let the mix rest in the fridge for a couple of hours to rest and chill. Give it a quick blend before churning).
- Churn in your ice cream machine.